The Academy Cinema is situated in the Arts Centre of Christchurch. The Academy was originally built in 1908 as a gymnasium for Christchurch Boys High School. The Arts Centre of Christchurch Trust took over the site in 1978 and that's when the gym became the Academy cinema, which is now owned by Rodney and Annette Cook.
The Academy is an Arthouse cinema showing mainly Art, English, Irish, Scottish and foreign films.
Upstairs is the Casablanca Cafe and Wine Bar with English character and movie nostalgia.